Wednesday, January 25, 2012

National Educational Educational Standards for Teachers & Students



Are the standards for students being met?

Standard 1 is met when elementary school students use computers to publish their written work, explore websites to elucidate science, math, and literacy concepts, and engage in types of data analysis and management.  However, these experiences are limited.  Educators should, and easily could, integrate this standard into the everyday.

Again, Standard 2 is evidenced by student publications.  However, I’ve observed peer collaboration at only the paper-and-pencil level.  There is much room for growth in reaching multiple audiences (whether geographic or demographic) and interacting with other cultures.  Educators should seize the opportunity to communicate globally through modern pen pals.  Moreover, beyond classmates proofreading, writing could be sent to other classrooms across the country for their input!

I’ve observed Standard 3 in computer labs, but not to a significant effect in the classroom.  Occasionally I’ve seen an upper primary grade center focusing on internet research, but most classrooms simply do not have the resources to allow this on a larger scale.  Educators should rally for more computers!

I have not seen much evidence of Standard 4 in elementary schools.  I hope that the situation is different at the secondary level.  However, I graduated from high school in 2006, and every English teacher discouraged our use of websites in our research projects.  We did not use technology to generate our research topics (“questions for investigation”) or during the research project.  College, of course, was the exact opposite!  All research was done via computers, databases, and the internet.  I think I checked out a total of three books in four years (and countless research papers).  While it’s important to retain traditional research methods, students should also rely on technology as a resource (let’s face it, it’s more efficient;  work smarter, not harder!)

Although each generation seems to manipulate all forms of technology with increasing ease, and to do so naturally, I do see a great deal of evidence of Standard 6 (and teacher Standard 4).  I think educators, perhaps because of the cost, are careful to explain the rules, procedures, and logistics of each source of technology in the classroom.  And because it is so tempting, teachers stress the dangers of (cut-and-paste) plagiarism.  Personally, that was instilled in me as early as grade 5.
 My limitation (or perhaps it’s a strength!) in my reaction is, as a substitute, I do not know any one classroom intimately.  I shuffle from one district to another, and my knowledge may be incomplete.  Certified classroom teachers:  do you agree with my perspective?  Or am I woefully ignorant?

Are the standards for teachers being met?

Standard 1:  That the best teachers are innovative and inventive is a truism.  However, teachers can become more innovative and inventive if they add technology to their arsenal, and I think many have.  The children, in my experience, really respond to that innovation and to the technology itself.  I do think there is room for improvement when it comes to solving authentic problems, but I think that once educators are comfortable integrating technology into the classroom, the authentic tasks will follow.

I am afraid there is a severe lack of Standard 2b.  Teachers, unfortunately, cannot allow students to direct the bulk of their learning with the emphasis our nation places on standardized testing.  Until laws change, I fear this trend will continue.  I only hope that teachers can revert to this kind of learning if/when things do change.
However, I have observed widespread evidence of Standard 2c.  Often, children with the appropriate IEPs will work towards a learning activity on the computer.  Technology is priceless when it comes to differentiation, and I firmly believe that teachers have seized the opportunity, and have done so well.

I know that when I am certified and employed, I will most certainly begin a classroom blog so parents can access information (Standard 3c).  This seems to be fairly popular and I hope the trend continues!  Not only is it important to involve parents in education, but it also saves trees and time in instances where online blogs replace weekly/monthly newsletters home.

How can educators combat the gap that may occur between those students who can afford to use technology in the home and those students that do not have access to this technology at home?  Even if most students can access the internet, some may have personal computers, and so will become technologically literate earlier on, or may be advanced.  Others, on the other hand, may have limited access to the internet/computers if they share with several family members.  Additionally, some families may restrict a child’s time on the computer.  What can we do?

4 comments:

  1. Megan, I agree that teachers who maintain a blog have an excellent way to communicate outside the classroom. I have seen many elementary-school teachers use blogs to inform parents of classroom activities as well as to keep students up to date. As a future teacher, what kinds of information would you put on a blog? How would you use a blog for students to interact with you? What about students blogging with one another, or blogging with students in other schools? Have you heard about blogs being used for BookTalks or Book Trailers? If you find any examples of elementary school blogs you like, please let us. Post the URL for us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that technology is priceless in differentiation. It seems to be that now we have to differentiate for students who are technologically savvy and those who are not. Due to money, many students can not afford technology in the home, let alone many schools cannot afford technology in the classrooms, so it's benefits are not being used effectively. So Megan, I agree with you that there is a gap and we have to come up with a way to diminish that gap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers definitely use the resources they're most comfortable with. Older teachers who may not be familiar with newer technology will shy away from it unless they can take the time to properly learn how to use it. In my case I graduated from high school in 1988 when word processing was all the rage. Since then I haven't had a lot of opportunities to learn more about what can be done with technology. I'm glad this course exists to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the battle that we have to deal with the opportunities out there for technology. In my school district, I have a handfull of students in my classroom that do not have computer access at home, and due to the fact that our school has a summer reading and summer math program online, we had to differentiate for all of those students who do not have computer access or access to technology by giving them a hard copy of the summer assessments. My school offers a variety of technology workshops, however only the junior high wing of our school has 100% access to the smartboards and the technology equipment. Being a small school we do not have money to support the demands of the technology standards. I agree that there is a gap and I myself have been wondering how we can fill it and make it closer.

    ReplyDelete