Monday, February 27, 2012

Alan November & Aviva Dunsinger

Skyping with Alan November

The most valuable information I got out of our Skyping session is related to parent communication. Although more time-consuming for teachers, it is important to communicate with parents in whatever medium they are most comfortable—be it phone, email, blog, or paper.

What was most valuable for you?

Aviva Dunsinger’s Blog

 “When I started teaching, I communicated to parents.” 
In all my grandiose plans for parent communication, this was my mindset. Thank you, Aviva, for enlightening me and inspiring me to engage parents in an entirely new way.

Currently loving the idea of multiple fluencies! Aviva mentions information fluency, collaboration fluency, creative fluency, solution fluency, and media fluency. I believe thinking about these things in terms of fluency will be extremely helpful and valuable.

What were the highlights of Aviva's blog for you?

Ciao!

5 comments:

  1. Megan, I agree that a highlight of Alan's conversation was parent involvement and we need to be comfortable with whatever parents are comfortable with. I also thought what was valuable was the resources he mentioned. He spoke to mathtrain.tv and this site is full of videos made by students for students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found this parent communication piece and fluency information helpful. I can't wait to Skype with your class on Thursday. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about these posts.

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved Kathy Cassidy's blog which he referenced. It has videos of her own class using technology and sharing. Allowing parents the ability to peek into their child's learning away from home builds the relationship between school and home. I can imagine Mrs. Cassidy has more interaction with the parents in her class because of the videos than most teachers...including your truly.

    ReplyDelete